Skip to main content

My Grandpa was a Bootlegger

My Grandpa was a Bootlegger, Part 1

I always knew my grandparents ran the tavern during prohibition, but I guess it never really occurred to me what they did to make ends meet during that time. There are stories coming out now that I had never heard about some of their homemade hooch.  One of my favorites was one that my aunt shared with us shortly before she passed.

Apparently my grandparents would make their own 'beverages' and my grandfather would sell it to the construction workers down the road that were building Highway 151 at the time.  Of course after that, I had to google when Highway 151 was first built, and sure enough, it was in 1926 that the highway was originally constructed from Fond du Lac, WI to Madison, WI - of course running right by the Columbus, WI and East Bristol, WI area.  The perfect clientele in my opinion. Who wouldn't want a little happy hour beverage after a day of building a highway back in the 20's?


Remnants of the prohibition era inside Mautz's Tavern:
  • Barrels and jugs down in the basement, some hidden behind paper, that still had liquid inside of them
  • The bottle capper, found upstairs in storage
  • A jug of apricot flavoring that they used to make their apricot brandy could still be found on a ledge in the basement
  • A Blatz chewing gum display, in darn near perfect condition, that was likely just stashed into storage once the beer companies could go back to selling brew after prohibition finally came to an end


What an interesting time in our nation's history. It's very cool to see actual remnants from it. So now I bring to you from 2020......the roaring 1920s:


Prohibition Era Barrels
Barrels Hidden Behind Newspaper
Jugs with Contents
Jugs With Contents

Apricot Flavoring
Vintage Bottle Capper
Bottle Capper
Blatz Prohibition Era
Blatz's Solution to Prohibition


Blatz Chewing Gum
Blatz Gum




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Soda Bottles

Vintage, Retro Soda Bottles They just don't make them like this anymore.  Although they are heavy and fragile to transport, they are a more environmentally friendly option than the plastic soda bottles of today. And they just look so much cooler!! Buried in a box in the side garage were a pile of empty soda bottles of various brands.  I find the bygone days of regional soda, before Pepsi and Coke took over everything, fascinating.  I grabbed a few of some of these more interesting looking bottles, most of brands I had never heard of, and found a way to use them as vintage decor in my office. Most of these are from the 1950s. It was fun to do a little retro soda research. We do love our soda pop! Pile of 60+ year old empty soda bottles Vintage Soda Bottle Decor in My Office Howel's Root Beer Bottle is Circa late 1940s The origins of Howel's Beverage Company out of Chicago, IL started with the sale of an orange-julep syrup (this would eventually becom

Let's Start with Englebert Mautz (formerly Mauz)

I'm going to start my blog with what little I do know about my great-grandfather, Engelbert Mautz, since he was the family member that first settled in East Bristol, WI. Nothing says classy biography like a bullet point list, but for your easy reading pleasure, here are some high level 'facts' that I found on the Internet and through information that my aunt had in the form of historical documentation, anecdotes, and photos. He was born in 1858 in Burladingen, Germany He was a cabinet maker According to my aunt, he was a tall and husky German (see photo below) He came to America in 1890 first to somewhere on the East coast. He settled in East Bristol, WI in 1893 His last name was actually Mauz. His first wife's name was Anna Heim. They had three daughters, Regina, Kate and Johanna. Anna died after giving birth to Johanna. His second wife's name was also Anna. Her maiden name was also Mauz. Were they related?  At some point and for a reason I'm not s

Kurth's Brewing, Columbus, WI

Kurth's Beer from Columbus, WI Well, the online auction of items from the tavern has been over now for a few months and at times I find myself still reflecting on how valuable some of those items were to people.  Our signature piece was the Kurth's Beer sign that had been sitting in the garage for upwards of 70 years.  It's that sign that has inspired this blog post, which focuses on all the vintage Kurth Brewing items that were found inside. Kurth's Beer Sign If you want to know more about Kurth Brewery, I encourage you to check out this July 2016 article by Lisa Cestkowski for the Columbus Journal https://www.wiscnews.com/columbusjournal/news/local/kurth-brewery-was-barreling-full-steam-ahead-until-flames-altered-the-course-of-history/article_a5cd6ef0-4a02-5501-bd40-1084d25fe168.html I'm sure it makes sense that there was an abundance of Kurth's Beer served at the tavern. Since the brewery was located in Columbus, WI it was likely the closest bre