Skip to main content

Boxes with my Dad's Name on Them Uncover Vintage Baseball Pennants

I come across two boxes up in the dance hall/storage space that have my dad's name written on them......Henry Joe (note my dad's full name is Henry Joseph Mautz)......ahhh, I have to see what is in them.  I clear a path and dig them out of the corner they were in.

Red Dot Foods - A local Madison, WI company that merged with  Lays in 1961 - There's an interesting story there

I still have yet to go through and fully process all that was in those two boxes.  There were letters in there written to my dad - some from girls.  There was a binder full of schoolwork.  Book reports he had written from I'm guessing high school (my dad graduated in 1955).  Strange to see the handwriting of your father from his high school days, particularly when you haven't seen his face or heard his voice in over 23 years.  Oh how I wish he was still here. I have so many questions about the stuff in this box that I want to ask him.

My first questions after "Who is Gail?" would be "Where and when did you get all these baseball pennants?" "From a ballpark?" "In a store?" "From sending in Bazooka bubble gum wrappers?" (apparently that was a thing).

My favorites are the Milwaukee Braves pennants


Mini Pennants

I always knew that my dad was a big baseball fan.  He was a big sports fan in general.  But most of the different items of his that I have come across and many of the pictures of him in his younger years, were baseball related.  Mary Ann did tell me in just this past year, that she remembered he was a big Brooklyn Dodgers fan.  There is a lot of evidence that he was also a Milwaukee Braves fan (and I do know that he was a Milwaukee Brewers fan). Hank Aaron played for the Milwaukee Braves when in 1957 they won Milwaukee's only world series victory to date, so who wouldn't have been a fan of his local team!  I have some fantastic programs from Milwaukee Braves games in the 1950s.  Those actually weren't boxed up in his childhood home and instead he had these in the home he lived in when he passed away back in 1996. Somehow, those stayed with him.


Cool Button Secured to One of the Milwaukee Braves Pennants

My assumption is most of these pennants are from the 1950s. I love them and even though it's quite possible some of them are worth some money, I don't have a desire to get rid of them.  I happen to love baseball too, so I'm thinking of framing them and finding a good spot to hang them in my home. They are way too cool to spend another 70 years boxed up and out of sight.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Soda Bottles

Vintage, Retro Soda Bottles They just don't make them like this anymore.  Although they are heavy and fragile to transport, they are a more environmentally friendly option than the plastic soda bottles of today. And they just look so much cooler!! Buried in a box in the side garage were a pile of empty soda bottles of various brands.  I find the bygone days of regional soda, before Pepsi and Coke took over everything, fascinating.  I grabbed a few of some of these more interesting looking bottles, most of brands I had never heard of, and found a way to use them as vintage decor in my office. Most of these are from the 1950s. It was fun to do a little retro soda research. We do love our soda pop! Pile of 60+ year old empty soda bottles Vintage Soda Bottle Decor in My Office Howel's Root Beer Bottle is Circa late 1940s The origins of Howel's Beverage Company out of Chicago, IL started with the sale of an orange-julep syrup (this would eventually becom

Let's Start with Englebert Mautz (formerly Mauz)

I'm going to start my blog with what little I do know about my great-grandfather, Engelbert Mautz, since he was the family member that first settled in East Bristol, WI. Nothing says classy biography like a bullet point list, but for your easy reading pleasure, here are some high level 'facts' that I found on the Internet and through information that my aunt had in the form of historical documentation, anecdotes, and photos. He was born in 1858 in Burladingen, Germany He was a cabinet maker According to my aunt, he was a tall and husky German (see photo below) He came to America in 1890 first to somewhere on the East coast. He settled in East Bristol, WI in 1893 His last name was actually Mauz. His first wife's name was Anna Heim. They had three daughters, Regina, Kate and Johanna. Anna died after giving birth to Johanna. His second wife's name was also Anna. Her maiden name was also Mauz. Were they related?  At some point and for a reason I'm not s

Kurth's Brewing, Columbus, WI

Kurth's Beer from Columbus, WI Well, the online auction of items from the tavern has been over now for a few months and at times I find myself still reflecting on how valuable some of those items were to people.  Our signature piece was the Kurth's Beer sign that had been sitting in the garage for upwards of 70 years.  It's that sign that has inspired this blog post, which focuses on all the vintage Kurth Brewing items that were found inside. Kurth's Beer Sign If you want to know more about Kurth Brewery, I encourage you to check out this July 2016 article by Lisa Cestkowski for the Columbus Journal https://www.wiscnews.com/columbusjournal/news/local/kurth-brewery-was-barreling-full-steam-ahead-until-flames-altered-the-course-of-history/article_a5cd6ef0-4a02-5501-bd40-1084d25fe168.html I'm sure it makes sense that there was an abundance of Kurth's Beer served at the tavern. Since the brewery was located in Columbus, WI it was likely the closest bre