Skip to main content

My Grandpa's Mom: A Tragic Obituary, Kids on a Leash, and OMG, I found a passenger list

Anna Mautz (formerly Mauz) gave birth to my grandfather in 1902, six years after arriving in America. He was the baby of the family.

Anna Mauz Mautz

Anna arrived into the U.S. in 1896, several years after her husband.  She arrived with their five children, ranging in ages from 15 down to 4 (Katharine, Regina, Johanna, Joseph, and Mathiaus).  Mary Ann shared the story in which Anna apparently had the children all tied together with a rope so she wouldn't lose any of them. Sounds completely sensible to me, just knowing what it's like to have to corral three children and that's just in a store, not in a completely foreign country after sailing across the ocean. So far one of the coolest things I've come across on ancestry.com is this handwritten passenger list which shows her name and that of the five children at the bottom. Ahhh, history is so cool!

New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957 for Anna Mauz



There is still a lot to uncover about her, but I know that she had a brother named Kilian. It appears Kilian married his wife in East Bristol, WI but settled out in Colorado. Thanks again to ancestory.com for showing this relationship to Anna - I was finally able to make sense of the photos I found of my great-grandfather, Engelbert that are labeled as being in Colorado.  Looks like he made a visit out there.

Engelbert Mautz and Kilian Mauz in Colorado

Gravefinder.com has this horrific blurb about Anna's death. I really hope this wasn't her publicized obituary, but I fear it may have actually been so since it references the Capital Times.

Mrs. Anna Mautz, 61, was burned to death at her home in East Bristol Thursday night. She was found outside her home about 8 o'clock by Miss Margaret Weissensel, who was taking care of her. Miss Weissensel had gone to a neighbor's for milk. She was gone only about ten minutes, but when she returned she found Mrs. Mautz lying a short distance from the door Mrs. Mautz evidently had run from the house when her clothing caught afire. How the accident happened is not known. Mrs. Mautz, who had been suffering from nervous trouble lived with her son, Adelbert Mautz. Capital Times 3/16/1928

I have so many questions about this. Why did she need to be taken care of? Who is this Margaret Weissensel? What is 'nervous trouble'? Oh the stories this house could tell!

Comments

  1. I heard the story many times from my Dad of how my Grandpa Mautz's family came over from Germany when my Grandpa, Joseph was just a little kid. I remember hearing about how they were all tied together with a rope as they traveled. It's so fun to be reading about it again. My Mother was a little girl at the time but she remembered when your great grandmother, Anna was burned to death. She and my Dad talked about that story many times when I was growing up. My mother said when that happened, your Grandpa, Adalbert never came over again to give her "horseback rides".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is that her public death announcement, it was on the front page of The Capital Times, with a fairly large headline: "Woman Burns to Death at East Bristol". You can find it on newspapers.com (a while ago I did a deep dive for Mauz family tidbits from the area, and there really were quite a few). I'm a gr-granddaughter of Kilian's, and still in Colorado. Thanks for sharing your stories, and artifacts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After writing this post, I did come across an actual clipping of the article about her death in a lockbox of some very old papers of my grandfathers. It also included newspaper clippings of the death of Robert Mautz (infant son of my grandparents) and the death of my grandmother's brother, Anton Sutter, who died in a boating accident on Lake Mendota in the 1940s.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Soda Bottles

Vintage, Retro Soda Bottles They just don't make them like this anymore.  Although they are heavy and fragile to transport, they are a more environmentally friendly option than the plastic soda bottles of today. And they just look so much cooler!! Buried in a box in the side garage were a pile of empty soda bottles of various brands.  I find the bygone days of regional soda, before Pepsi and Coke took over everything, fascinating.  I grabbed a few of some of these more interesting looking bottles, most of brands I had never heard of, and found a way to use them as vintage decor in my office. Most of these are from the 1950s. It was fun to do a little retro soda research. We do love our soda pop! Pile of 60+ year old empty soda bottles Vintage Soda Bottle Decor in My Office Howel's Root Beer Bottle is Circa late 1940s The origins of Howel's Beverage Company out of Chicago, IL started with the sale of an orange-julep syrup (this would eventually becom

Let's Start with Englebert Mautz (formerly Mauz)

I'm going to start my blog with what little I do know about my great-grandfather, Engelbert Mautz, since he was the family member that first settled in East Bristol, WI. Nothing says classy biography like a bullet point list, but for your easy reading pleasure, here are some high level 'facts' that I found on the Internet and through information that my aunt had in the form of historical documentation, anecdotes, and photos. He was born in 1858 in Burladingen, Germany He was a cabinet maker According to my aunt, he was a tall and husky German (see photo below) He came to America in 1890 first to somewhere on the East coast. He settled in East Bristol, WI in 1893 His last name was actually Mauz. His first wife's name was Anna Heim. They had three daughters, Regina, Kate and Johanna. Anna died after giving birth to Johanna. His second wife's name was also Anna. Her maiden name was also Mauz. Were they related?  At some point and for a reason I'm not s

Kurth's Brewing, Columbus, WI

Kurth's Beer from Columbus, WI Well, the online auction of items from the tavern has been over now for a few months and at times I find myself still reflecting on how valuable some of those items were to people.  Our signature piece was the Kurth's Beer sign that had been sitting in the garage for upwards of 70 years.  It's that sign that has inspired this blog post, which focuses on all the vintage Kurth Brewing items that were found inside. Kurth's Beer Sign If you want to know more about Kurth Brewery, I encourage you to check out this July 2016 article by Lisa Cestkowski for the Columbus Journal https://www.wiscnews.com/columbusjournal/news/local/kurth-brewery-was-barreling-full-steam-ahead-until-flames-altered-the-course-of-history/article_a5cd6ef0-4a02-5501-bd40-1084d25fe168.html I'm sure it makes sense that there was an abundance of Kurth's Beer served at the tavern. Since the brewery was located in Columbus, WI it was likely the closest bre